little boy + miniature basketball + lamp =
(and toxic, cough inducing stink!)
The stench was bad, but the worst part was the little boy’s reaction to the sight of the melted ball.
It kind of scared him. 😦
He ran out of the room and down the stairs.
He knew we were upset and that he had done something wrong, but I think the total destruction of the ball by a force he didn’t quite understand was overwhelming to him.
It didn’t help that my discovery of the ball happened in the midst of his totally unrelated tantrum.
He was shaking and a little freaked out when we found him in the kitchen.
We told him it was okay and that we weren’t mad. That seemed to calm him down a bit.
He wouldn’t come near the ball or the lamp and light bulb, but he was interested in looking at them from across the room.
He latched onto the words “hot” and “melted” as husband and I explained what happened.
This morning I held up the ball and light bulb again and asked him to repeat the sequence of events.
I put the basketball on top of the lamp.
The light bulb was very hot.
The basketball melted.
The melted basketball was very stinky.
The stinky smell can make me feel sick.
He repeated all of the words very purposefully and even got ahead of me when I added:
No more toys on the light bulb.
Best lesson all week.
This was a close second: